5 Signs to Help You Decide Whether to Repair or Replace Your Roof
The freezing temperatures that the entire east coast has been experiencing can cause real damage to your home’s roof. From high winds that could loosen shingles to ice dams that could allow water to seep into unknown cracks and crevices, the hazards are real.
If you’re worried that your roof has been compromised, call a qualified roofing contractor to inspect your roof and make sure it hasn’t been compromised.
The thawing and refreezing cycle that this area has been experiencing can cause your roof to go into thermal shock. When that happens, it can decrease the life span of your average shingled roof.
How should you decide whether to repair or replace a damaged roof?
Making this decision should be based on the cost of repair versus replacement and the age of your roof. Also, it depends on how many layers your roof already has. Often, homeowners choose to roof over an existing faulty roof in order to save the expense of having to tear up and cart off the old materials.
5 Signs that your roof may need replaced rather than repaired:
- Roof shingles are curled at the edges, torn or missing and past their life expectancy.
- Excessive amounts of shingle granules in the gutters are a sign of advanced wear, indicating that the shingles have lost their ability to protect your home from the elements.
- Leaks in your roof that can’t easily be repaired and a sagging roof deck.
- Experiencing extreme weather conditions, such as hurricane type wind and thermal shock, greatly reduce a roof’s lifespan
- Mold and fungi growing excessively on a roof can be a big indicator of rot
When you do the math of the cost to repair versus the cost to replace and the difference is minimal, you really should consider a full replacement. While a full roof replacement is costly, starting fresh has it’s advantages. It increases the value of your home, better protects your home’s interior and refreshes your home’s appearance.
If your roof is experiencing any of these symptoms and you would like some advice, call us at Ferris Home Improvement. We are roofing contractors in Delaware that can help with any roof replacement, repairs and preventative maintenance.
Ferris Home Improvements is Delaware’s #1 local roofing contractor capable of getting your roof replacement done in a jiff! We are honored to be the winners of Reader’s Choice in The News Journal Best Home Improvement Company 6 years in a row!