Winter weather is particularly hazardous to your roof. Especially if your roof is on the older side. High winds, heavy snow, sleet, freeze and thaw cycles can cause some real damage to your roof. Homeowners need to be especially vigilant after severe winter weather hits their area. If need be, they should promptly call a qualified local roofer to repair any damage before it escalates to costly home repairs.
Snow and ice can be your home’s worst enemy in the winter, causing a variety of roofing issues. The record cold temperatures experienced these last few week in Delaware and the Tri-state area are exactly the type of catalyst that can wreak havoc on your roof, gutters and flashing.
There are several roofing problems that can occur during this time of year which could lead to costly roof repairs. Inspect your roof, attic and gutters to be sure you proactively avoid costly damage to your home.
5 COMMON ROOFING ISSUES TO LOOK FOR THIS WINTER:
- FREEZE & THAW CYCLE: The thaw and refreeze process can be disastrous for your roof’s integrity when there is an accumulation of snow and ice on your roof. A recurring freeze & thaw cycle could allow for ICE DAMS which allow water to seep into any cracks or faulty flashing. The water then re-freezes, which results in widening the cracks and eventually leakage into your home when the thaw sets in.
- CONDENSATION: Improperly vented or insulated attics allow for condensation of hot or cold air, which leads to mold and mildew damage. You can avoid this by calling Ferris Home Improvements of Delaware to properly ventilate and insulate your attic with Owens Corning Blown-In Fiberglas™ Insulation.
- THERMAL SHOCK: Thermal roofing shock occurs when the sun heats your roof’s surface during the day and then temperatures dramatically dip below freezing at night. The results for older roofs are more pronounced —a roof’s membranes loses tensile strength, as well as the ability to expand and contract, with age.
- ICICLES: Debris overload in gutters and downspouts leads to blockages which encourage icicle formations. Icicles are not only dangerous to the people below, their excess weight can cause major damage to your home’s gutters and roof.
- STRONG WINDS: We’ve had several days of extreme winds that could have caused your roof’s shakes or asphalt shingles to loosen. Having a local roofer repair loose shingles or shakes is paramount to prevent costly damage to your home’s roof and its interior.
While winter is a good time to hunker down and hibernate, responsible home owners take the initiative to inspect their home’s exterior after any type of extreme weather. They understand that doing so can avoid bigger more costly roofing problems.
If you’re experiencing any of the issues mentioned above, contact Ferris Home Improvements as soon as possible. We are roofing contractors in Delaware who have been voted the best ROOFING company in Delaware six years in a row!
Wishing you a wonderful start to the new year!
FerrisHomeImprovements.com | 302.998.4500 | Contact Us